The other night I took Lyndee out for a "date night" and she was able to experience some good and bad.......Here is what we noticed! What good lessons for her!
Chick-fil-A: Best Customer Service and most consistent. Everyone is always so nice and saying "My Pleasure" with a smile that you can't help but be happy about being there. We've often thought how they train their employees, or how they keep them all nice and polite.
• Did you know they always have fresh flowers on the tables?
• They always have very clean facilities.
• Always decorate for the season or area events.
• Always good to give out free coupons for events that volunteers participate in.
• We've gotten a lot of "free breakfasts" there that they have from time to time.
• Have free Wi-Fi (can be very important sometimes).
• "My Pleasure" all employees say it all the time!
• Great food!
Toddler snacks by the condiments (usually fruit loops in small containers--how nice is that???
Lyndee and I had a great time and we talked about how wonderful it was to have such happy people working and how clean it was. When we were talking about all this, someone (a college student doing a school project) came up and asked us to fill out a survey on many of these items listed above. We also had someone come around twice to ask us if they could get us anything or refill our waters---did I mention that we used coupons (free) for our food, got water, and only ordered a milk shake to split, and they were still very nice to us??? We left there feeling so good and happy.
BELK: Lyndee has outgrown her jacket and since it's been very cold here and it's kind of embarrassing for her to wear a small jacket, we finally found the time to go looking for one. We went to 4 stores, then came to Belk. She found just what she wanted and it was 40% off! Great---we got it and took it up to the counter and the lady (teenager) rang it up. She talked me into donating a $1 and get a 20% off coupon....ok, I took it. She rang it up and as I was handing my credit card to her, she told me the price. She quickly swiped the card and by the time I realized that the price was way off.
Me: How much did the jacket rang up for and what was the % off.
Cashier: I don't know, $34.99.
Me: That isn't 40% off.
Cashier: That is the price that it shows here.
Me: The sign said 40% off.
Cashier: Yes, I can see the sign and see the 40% off.
I started getting out my calculator and she handed me hers and said,
Cashier: Here, I'm not good at math, you can look at it. (I just thought---no kidding your not good at math)
Me: It should've rang up as $30 and with the 20% off should have been even lower.
Cashier: Well, (all huffy), I'll have to do an exchange then if you want.
Me: OK, cause I want the correct amount.
Cashier: I'll have to call my manager to ok it.
Me: Great!
Cashier: Calling her manager on the phone she says, I've got a slightly agitated customer here that wants a return and says that the purchase didn't ring up right.
Me: SLIGHTLY AGITATED CUSTOMER???? NOW I'M AM SLIGHTLY AGITATED!!!!
After she got off the phone:
Me: That is not the best thing to call a customer in front of them! I would like to speak to your manager!
Cashier: She returned everything and did the right amount which the price was in the low 20's now (well worth my time to save over $10).
Cashier: I had to explain to him what was happening so he would understand the return.
Me: That is very poor customer service to call a customer that. I wouldn't recommend you doing that again!
Cashier: Calling her manager on the phone again, (very good phone manners as well). I need you to come down here. (silence) Just come down here now. (silence) I just need you to come down here. Bye.
I met her manager as I was walking out and he was about as happy as she was.
Me: I told him that I didn't appreciate her customer service and how she spoke to me.
Manager: He said he would talk to her and then went to get something behind the counter, then he got a coupon out, looked at Lyndee and handed her the coupon and said, "Here, give this to your mom so maybe it'll make her happy."
I thought, unbelievable. It all stems down from the top! Great to know. Lyndee was just amazed at the two different situations that night.
After this experience we left there upset and wishing we could get the customer service that we got from Chick-fil-A everywhere.
WALMART: They are always a hit or miss with customer service, but usually I get some good cashiers. That night Walmart was our last stop before going home. The cashier ended it on a great note and complemented Lyndee on her shirt and carried on a conversation with Lyndee (which was great!). We had to stop by the pharmacy and they were also very nice.
A night out with Lyndee looking for a jacket turned into a night of lessons on how to treat others with good customer service.
Sunday, October 11, 2009
Customer Service, the good, the bad.....
Posted by Jen at 11:02 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




6 comments:
HOw funny! I'll have to tell you about my HORRIBLE customer service at Subway, next time I see ya! It is a good story! Glad lyndee got to see the good and the bad, good lessons!
Hey, great post! You should share this story with the Belk corporate peeps, tell them what a shameful example of customer service they set in front of your impressionable daughter. I think you handled it pretty well, though.
We never get nice cashiers at Wal-Mart. Maybe they get better as you get closer to the home office. :)
You are sooo right about Chick-fil-a and that's one reason why there is always a line around the building to buy their food. I have also been a customer for more than 10 years and they have NEVER gotten my order wrong. Walmart, on the other hand, is my worst nightmare. At least in our town it is horrible. We have 4 Walmarts and they are all varying degrees of horrific. I avoid shopping there at all costs and only go if they are the only place I can get something. I shop at Target where the customer service is usually decent.
Before we moved here we hadn't been to a WalMart for over a year because the customer service is so bad there down South. My family still sends target gift cards for the kids' birthdays because none of them will shop at WalMart, even though they know we do most of our shopping there. People who visit us from Alabama are amazed how clean and friendly our WalMart stores are here. Must be proximity to the Home Office. ChikFilA rocks though!
Loved your post, Jen. It lets me know that the special service we give in our mission is worth the extra time to take care of our patrons. I really learned alot from you descriptions. i guess we are the ones who need to be the examples. You and Lyndee did some real one on one. What a great mother you are. Thanks for sharing.
Hey, our Chick-fil-a is closed on Sunday too! Wish I was more fond of the food.
Post a Comment