Monday, October 24, 2011

Katelyn's bat accident

This past summer when we were moving our stuff out of our old house, the kids were riding bikes and playing with the neighbors. I am always telling the kids to wear their helmets when riding their bikes and I am so glad that I am so strict about this. Katelyn got off her bike and went to the neighbors where the boys were all playing. I was inside the house helping Joseph with something and Lynar was emptying the attic out. I heard lots of screaming and I went outside to see what was going on and Lynar was running with katelyn in his arms blood dripping everywhere and Lynar was saying we got to take her to the hospital. She was hit in the head with a metal baseball bat. The kids were all freaking out due to all the blood. Katelyn looked a little shocked. We jumped in the truck and drove away leaving Lyndee home with the kids. I called a friend (thanks so much Jess) to come and help with the kids and keep them calm. On the way to the hospital Kate kept saying she just wanted to go to sleep and I was trying everything to keep her awake. I didn't know how hard she had been hit, just that she had a gaping wound on her forehead and she had been hit hard with a bat. I was worried about a bad concussion. Lynar and I were staying very calm to keep Kate very calm trying to make her laugh and forget about it. She kept saying it didn't hurt. When we got to the hospital they got her right in a room since they were worried about a concussion as well. She checked out fine And was so brave when they put 5 stitches in. Lynar and a friend of ours (Ryan) gave her a blessing. Katelyn was more relaxed than she has ever been with a doctor. I know that the blessing really helped calm her nerves. I do wish that they would have put more stitches in so it wouldn't be such a bad scar on her forehead. Now, getting the stitches out took 1 1/2 hours because she was so nervous. (I took the stitches out).

We realized that katelyn didn't even have a bump on her head from this. She had been wearing her helmet and we think that the bat actually hit the helmet and the force if it split her forehead. I am so glad that she was wearing a helmet that day. The helmet is cracked in the front with a piece missing. Cracks are all over the helmet (some from being an old helmet), but I know that saved her from bad problems.
Sorry the gruesome pictures, but it shows how bad it was.
***this is my first time posting from my phone, so I don't know how it will turn up.

3 comments:

Cheri said...

holy cow, that looks awful! i don't know how you kept calm - way to go. and i want to see pics of the new house!

Lovely Lisa said...

Wow, that is crazy. I'm glad she's gonna be OK. Barry knocked Bradley's front two teeth out with a bat when they were kids, but thankfully they weren't his permanent teeth!

Amy said...

I'm glad Katelyn is ok. It looks like it was awful.