Sunday, February 8, 2009

Thankgoodness for electricity

A small twig that was covered in ice.

If you looked down our street, this is what you would see, tree's bent over and tops snapped off.

Lyndee went around and took ice off of mailboxes and found some pretty cool ice sculptures. Notice the trees in the background up the street!


Katelyn had fun with it too. It felt cool walking on the grass. As you can see there were ice bumps all over. It felt like walking on an ice pond that wasn't all the way frozen.....well---I've never walked on one, but I can only imagine..




Our neighbor's tree was completely bent over, and luckily it was on that didn't break. It is perfectly straight up now. We did not lose any of our trees either.
During the storm there were at one point almost 150,000 Holmes/businesses without power. It has been 13 days and still there are a few thousand without power. We only lost power for 35 minutes at the most. Lyndee has been wanting to go without power for a long time and live like a pioneer, but I'm grateful for the electricity that we had. Our power would flicker and it kind of gives you a boost to hurry and get a few things done that take electricity, like the laundry. We had some friends stay with us for 2 nights until their power came back on.
Our area was claimed as a national disaster area by Obama. Schools were closed for 4 days and most business and people did not go to work during that time. It was nice to have Lynar home for 3 days!!!
Our generator has been in use almost nightly since the storm. Our chainsaw has had great use as well. I always joke around with Lynar that we buy things for other people, i.e. our truck, chainsaw, generator, other tools... We bought some of those items so that Lynar could help out in situations like this.


4 comments:

Lovely Lisa said...

So glad you were OK. It's hard to imagine that kind of winter weather-- seems like snow would cause more trouble than ice, but that is definitely not always the case.

Char said...

I think it might be colder there then here. I don't believe it but maybe. We don't even have snow anymore. It hasn't snowed for about 3 weeks. I'm glad you guys made it and were so prepared.

vicki said...

WOW! That is WAY too much cold and ice for me! It looks like you guys weathered the storm like pros!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear a report from you. I was wondering just how you made it thru all that. I kept watching the computer weather for the latest in the electricty. So glad you were so prepared and so helpful to others. It is good to know that you are safe and all is well.
Love ya Mom