Sunday, February 21, 2010

Brooklyn's diet update

I just wanted to write a little about Brooklyn and all her food allergies/sensitivities.  I have sure learned a lot and have become much more sympathetic for those that have sensitivities to food.  I don't know if you can fully understand until you've been through it, or one of your children have been through it.  It is something that is coming more and more common these days and much more talked about.  A lot of people have asked me how I knew that Brooklyn had allergies/sensitivities or intollerances--whatever you want to call them.  Here I go.....

THE VERY BEGINNING:

Brooklyn was a very fussy baby from the time she was weeks old I would have to hold her almost all the time.  She was not happy most of the time unless I was holding her.  When she was about 2 months old, I was nursing her and she would not take any bottles.  There was some main incidences that made a huge difference, which occured 3-4 times before I was given advice by the doctor and many others.  Brooklyn would scream anytime I put her in the nursing position, and on top of that she would go 8 hours or so without eating!  For such a young baby this was not normal.  I was told to go off of dairy products and of course I also went off of spicy foods and other things that seemed to give babies gas.  I was on a very limited diet.  Within days she was much better, but realized that I had to stay away from any type of food that had milk in it...even non-fat dry milk...which meant packaged foods.  After this she was a different child.  She was my most happy baby that I had, and extremely content!!!  I stayed on a very dairy-free diet until she quit nursing at 12 months.

MORE DISCOVERIES:

At 6 months old we gave her rice cereal to start her on solids.  A couple days later she had blood in her stools and I called the doctor and after asking me all the questions and realizing that I had just fed her something new, they said that was probably the cause and not to give her rice cereal for a couple weeks.  I waited 3 weeks and tried again.  She liked it, but within 2 hours she started throwing up!  This was not like any throwing up I'd seen---almost projectile vomiting...which didn't stop for 2 hours....every few minutes.  Again I was told by the doctor not to give her any rice cereal and that she was probably allergic...try after she was 12 months old, but to try oatmeal cereal in a few weeks.  3 weeks later I did try the oatmeal cereal and again within 2 hours she was projectile vomiting....for at least 2 hours every few minutes until it was dry-heaving!  So sad to watch your baby go through.  Anytime Brooklyn would get ahold and eat some puffs (baby snacks) she would puke.  We were told to only give her fruits and vegetables starting at 9 months.  On top of being restricted on what we could feed her and even though I was making her own baby food, I was still nursing her every 3 hours around the clock--until she was 12 months old.  She only gained one pound from 6-12 months as well and dropped from being in the 60-80% to the 20%. 


WHAT HAS BOTHERED HER:

  • Wheat
  • Milk
  • Corn
  • Rice
  • Oat (etc)

HOW WE KNEW:

Brooklyn's signs and symptoms of food intollerances/allergies or sensitivities (whatever you want to call them):
  • Diarrhea within hours of eating that would burn her bumb (I mean burn it until it was almost raw)
  • Tight distended stomach
  • Extreme fussiness
  • Could not sleep, would wake up during the night or couldn't sleep long with nap
  • In the early stages she would throw up
  • 6-7 dirty diapers which were cream colored never stopped until she was 18 months when allergy treatments were started.
I would try to figure out what she had eaten when she had these symptoms. 

PROBLEM BEING RESOLVED:

NAET is a type of treatment used to help people with allergies.  It stands for Naumbridipaud's Allergy Ellimination Technique.  My brother's gluten allergy was resolved by this and my environmental allergies have been improved with this!  In order to be trained to become a practitioner for NAET, you have to be some type of medical professional.  My sister-in-law who is also a nurse went with me twice last year to California to be trained.  We invested in a lot and I have started my own business to help others....check out http://www.allergiesplus.net/  
This is a very safe and effective technique used to elliminate food, environment, and pet allergies.  It is a natural method using chiropractic/ acupressure technique. 

RESULTS SO FAR:

Brooklyn can now have rice, corn products, milk or any dairy, and we are currently working on her wheat problems and hope to be done and having her eat bread and cookies with the rest of us by her 2nd birthday!
She's had 25-30 treatments helping her corn, rice, and milk problems and now has no problems with any of them. She can have all the regular milk, all the cheese, and corn that she wants! It is great! Oh---and she only has 1-2 dirty diapers a day!!! Yeah!!! And it's normal color now! So exciting to have some great results so far!!!  She has gained 10 pounds in 7 months....now back to normal!!!

TEST:

Just to be sure she still has her wheat allergy, last week I let her have 3 bites of a sugar cookie and then waited.  Yep, sure enough she was very irritable, stomach tight, diarrhea (leaked through diaper), red bumb, waking up in the night, and crying (screaming) at times for no reason.  Had to give her mylicon drops to relieve pressure in her abdomen. 


Can't wait to see what she can eat!!!

1 comments:

Sylvia said...

You are all being so blessed. She is such a darling little sweetheart. One has to just rejoice that her little bottom is getting better and she can eat so much more. I am so grateful for such blessings. I am convinced that allergies can be healed. Thanks again for sharing