I was able to go to our Church's girl camp this year and be the camp nurse. Wow! What a fun week we had. I was thinking that it would be a nice relaxing week, maybe read a book, or get a nap in during the day, just take it easy.....well....serves me right for thinking of a nice easy week. It all started within the first 30 minutes after the girls were let loose into their levels.
The start of a busy week.....duck, duck, goose will get you if you're not careful. My first victim ended up with 6 stitches in her knee. She was such a great sport and came right back to camp after going back into town to the doctor to get the stitches and get the little rocks/debris out of her knee.
I don't think that it ended until we left on Friday---even packing up a girl slammed her finger in the door and wanted to know if I thought it was broken. Ice and taping it up hopefully helped her!
Well.....911 was called twice, two sprained wrists (one bad and one not so bad), a broken nose, a broken thumb (that was the best one! Priesthood leader who turned into the doorway at the stake center), many scraps, many ticks needing to be pulled out, many spider bites that needed help, poison ivy, rashes, headaches, cramps, medications to be given, little sleep emotional girls, poor hydration, scared during thunderstorms, sick to stomach, and last but not least......rain!
The 911 calls you are probably wondering about, but both girls are ok---gratefully! Tuesday night was a major thunderstorm. Unprepared for the storm, many girls were scared, many items and tents/bedding got soaked, and that is when the first call was made. Some wards went home for the night, some stuck it out, and one ward got all their bedding and slept under the grand pavilion. It was very interesting to see what all the different wards did. Wednesday I was able to come home and check on my girls (my mom stayed after the baptism to watch my kids for the week----thanks mom!). I went back Wednesday night, but the decision had been made to stay at the Stake Center (it wasn't too far away this year). This is where we thought it was safe and I thought that I'd have a break again.....but who knew a thumb would get broken, rashes would come up and a girl would jump off the stage onto a binder with it open (hit the open ring.....ouch). Thursday there was more excitement....this is the day the second 911 was called. I'd better not go into too many details, but I'll just quote Brother Jenson, "If you're going to be stupid, you'd better be tough". Girls just like to have fun and it wasn't very thought through. It is amazing how things just kept happening. I did get a chance to go tubing on the lake. Friday we packed up and went home, just in time for the tornado sirens to sound. Barely got home when the storm hit through.
I had a great time and really learned a lot.....Especially about being prepared and to plan ahead better. I was grateful for the pop-up trailer that I stayed in! All I had to do to drown out all the noise at night was to turn the AC on! Boy it was great! Thanks to the Baccacini's in Centerton for letting me use that as my nursing station (and sleeping headquarters!). I better not go on how wonderful that was since many leaders did not get any sleep at all.
Tuesday, June 16, 2009
Girls Camp 2009
Posted by Jen at 10:35 PM
Labels: Girls camp
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comments:
Oh my goodness! I have never been to Girl's Camp but I have never heard of so many incidences at one camp before. Never a dull moment!
Post a Comment