Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Sobriety Check Point

All right, I do have to tell this funny story....even though I know that I will always get the wrath! Saturday we went to Silver Dollar City in Branson Mo. (and I have to put in that I was a little tired from the week still). I decided to drive home so that Lynar could make some phone calls and get ready for his scout camp this week. In MO and AR there are sobriety check points to check for drunk driving, which I have never experienced before. The road was blocked with police cars and you had to come to a stop. It was dark and there was a lot of flashing lights. There was a line up of cars and so I came to a stop to wait for the officer to come to our car. When he stepped up to my van, I rolled down the window and thinking that I would be nice I said, "Hello ossifer"! Now, obviously that came out totally wrong and everyone in the car started laughing. I then was trying to explain my slurred ossifer by telling him that we were just talking about the sobriety check point and how we'd never been in one. This time I could not get the word sobriety out....I can't even remember how I said that word, or even if I ever said that word to him right. The laughing in the car keep getting worse and I was laughing too and put my hands down on the steering wheel, but in the wrong place and the horn honked! Of course I was asked for my licence and then if I'd had anything to drink. My mom was in the back seat and yelled out "just water" (there were quite a few empty water bottles all over the van.) I told the officer that I was a little tired and nervous and that I'd only had a little bit of ice cream. I think that we were all surprised that he did not make me get out of the van and walk a line or whatever he would have made me do. Maybe he could sense the Mormons in the van and also seeing 3 sleeping kids in the mini van he felt safe with me not being truly drunk! Just a little tired drunk as I like to call it! The officer had a good laugh with us and commented on my "slurred speech", then let us go. It took quite a few miles to get the laughing settled down. One Sobriety Checkpoint that I won't forget.

5 comments:

vicki said...

Ha!! Too funny. Sounds like something that would happen to me!

Laura said...

That's great. haha

Anonymous said...

Better watch that, Jen. I am grateful you were ok for our trip to Tulsa. You were such a great help and drove just fine. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you for all you did to help me have such a great time in Arkansas. Love you
Grama Young

Mandie said...

that was HILARIOUS, thanks for sharing!
-mandie

Amy said...

ha ha!