Thursday, March 25, 2010

Results

I thought I was fine and clear when I hadn't heard from the doctor's office yet, but I got that dreaded phone call this morning.  Tuesday morning I went in for my 3 hour glucose test, which involves fasting, then getting your blood drawn 4 times in 3 hours.  You are not allowed to leave the hospital grounds during the 3 hours, so it can be a long morning (or for me it was a relaxing 3 hours where I was able to read a whole ensign without interruption).  I thought for sure that if I didn't hear from the doctor by Wednesday afternoon I was in the clear......well....

This morning I saw a number pop up on caller id and was anxious to get it, but thought that I should just let it go to voice mail....didn't know if I wanted to hear the results.  Yep, it was the nurse and the first thing she said was that she had bad news.  I am officially diagnosed with gestational diabetes this time.  I will have to meet with a dietition and she will set me up with a glucometer to check my blood sugar 3-4 times a day.  DANG!!!!  Plus the special diet!  Sorry family....no more ice cream or home made rolls for awhile! 

3 comments:

Sarah Haslem said...

dang jen... that is really too bad.
but great news about your new business setup!!!
Good luck on the rest of your pregnancy and keep us updated!

Laura said...

bummer! but congrats on the clinic! Only a few more months before blood sugar goes back to normal.

JNOG said...

My sister is a dietitian and I've hurried lots of stories about gestational diabetes - Good Luck!! Congrats on your new business!