Sunday, August 24, 2008

Our prayers go out to families of plane crash.....

Friday night a small plane crashed in Moab, Utah carrying 10 people from Cedar City, Utah. We lived in Cedar City for over 6 years and knew one of the victims really well. We first met Valerie Imlay before Lynar and I got married and were just in the student ward. Her husband Mark was in our single ward's bishopric and Valerie was alway nice and motherly to all the students. After Lynar and I got married we lived down the street from them and we went to the family ward. Mark was our home teacher and he would always bring with him Val. She would always make us wonderful treats. They became real good friends and she even gave me a baby shower when I had Lyndee even though we had moved out of their ward. Unfortuneately I did not attend my own baby shower (I was in labor at the hospital), but Val took pictures for me of everyone that came and also of the good food she had there. We would always stop by their house on Halloween. Val was so much fun and always happy. You could tell that she truely loved her husband and her boys and grandsons. She was a joy to be around.
My brother Greg called me early Saturday morning and asked me if I had heard of this horrible accident. He is a pilot and keeps up on everything. I had not seen the news yet and the night before no real information was given out. When he told me that all the passengers were from Cedar my heart sank, then he read me the names and most of the names are very familiar with Cedar. Then he read Val's name and I could not believe it. You always hear of these tragic things happening, but don't personally know the people involved. I also knew the two doctors on board. Being a nurse in a small town you seem to interact with all the doctors at some point. The PA, Dave Goddard was Lynar's dad's doctor right before he passed away. I went and spoke with him about ordering up some oxygen for Royce the day before Royce passed away. I had worked with Dave Goddard many times and knew him through my nursing.
I mourn with those in Cedar City as I still feel like Cedar is my home at times. I had many good memories there and that is where we started our family. I miss the community and know that it is a sad time for the community.
May the families of the victims feel peace in their hearts and know that through their religion that they can see each other again someday.

4 comments:

Lovely Lisa said...

THAT is where I've heard that name. I didn't know Val as well as you, but I knew I had heard that name before and couldn't remember where. Many of the other names are familiar from when I worked at the paper, but I do kind of remember the Imlays from the 9th Ward now. So, so, so sad. :(

Kerilee Law said...

Sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for calling me and leaving a message about the crash. I did not hear about it until you let me know. I sent you a write up about it. Dave Goddard was the most wonderful Dr. we could have had. He admired Royce's endurance and had such compassion. He did everything he could for the comfort of this patient. Even ordered a remote tv so that he could monitor his patient from the Dr. office. GREAT man. Sad loss Cedar city is sad. Thank goodness for eternal hope.
Love ya, MOM

Jessica said...

This is so sad. I hope the community is able to find some comfort through this sad time.