Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Rolly Polly Drama

When I was little we called them potatoe bugs, but somehow my girls have learned their names as rolly polly's. I don't know where they learned this, although when Lyndee first started calling them rolly polly's I had to learn what she was talking about. Maybe the phrase potatoe bug is a Western or a Utah thing, and rolly polly is a mid-west thing. Anyway, Katelyn has an obsession with rolly polly's. She finds them everyday and asks for a jar to put them in. Sometimes in the jar, they seem to escape or the jar gets knocked over and the poor rolly polly escapes when he gets a chance.

Yesturday was another drama over a lost rolly polly. You would have thought Katelyn was injured or something, but no, just her rolly polly got lost (in the carpet---again). The first time this happened that day, Lynar was able to quickly find the bug as it did not have time to hide. This time, by the time we realized what was wrong, it was like finding a needle in a haystack. Our carpet is more of a shag which makes it really hard to find and easy for the rolly polly to hide. Lynar thought that this would be a good time to teach Katelyn the power of prayer (since he thought it would be easy to find this bug again). So, we all knelt down and said a prayer. After the prayer everyone continued to look in the carpet. I went downstairs and out the door (as any mother would do! ---you would do it too!) and found another rolly polly on the porch. We always have plenty out there, so I knew it would be easy to find. I picked it up, walked upstairs and when Katelyn wasn't watching, I put it down on the carpet (keeping a close eye on it) and motioned to Katelyn to come see what I just found! She was so excited! Well, Heavenly Father answered her prayer. She put it back in the jar that had some grass in the bottom....lo and behold....her original rolly polly was still in there. It was probably covered with the grass and she didn't see it before the whole escapade. This is what she said, "Wow! Heavenly Father gave us 2 rolly polly's!" OOpps....if only I had checked the jar before heading outside! Lynar and I had a great laugh at least! The rolly polly I had found died soon after putting it in the jar (serves me right)...Katelyn then said...."Heavenly Father gave me a dead rolly polly". Next time I won't compete with Heavenly Father!

(Lyndee, if you are reading this, please don't tell Katelyn....sometimes parents have to do what they have to do).

4 comments:

Char said...

That is so funny. Heavenly Father probably put the rolly polly back in the jar to teach you a lesson.

Amy said...

I'm laughing my head off!

Laura said...

hahahaha. That is so cute.

Lisa R.D. said...

Those rolly polly bugs cause so much excitement for kids! I am sure we called them potato bugs too, but they are rolly polly's to our kids. Must be a generational thing?