Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Growing, Dietician, and Pregnancy

Yep, the baby is measuring 2 weeks ahead and is as high up as he can go, and feels pretty low.  My upper abdomen (right under ribs) is so dang sore, it feels like someone punched me....oh wait...the baby keeps punching and kicking me up there.  I'm just waiting for the bruises to show up on the outside. 

I feel like my body isn't handling pregnancy as well this time....getting more and more pregnancy complications.  Two weeks ago I went to the dietician, tiny pregnant woman (with her first), tell me that I was over-weight and lazy and that if I didn't get out and actually exercise for at least 30 minutes a day and if I don't lose weight after I have the baby that I was going to get type 2 diabetes, which yes, I did know that I do have a higher risk since I have gestational diabetes, but don't sit there and tell me over and over how overweight a pregnant woman is!  For some reason she didn't think that having 3 active children (one being a two year old) kept me busy and on my feet most of the day.  I felt like punching her a couple of times (which I don't think I've ever felt that way before) and also telling her, "no, I don't sit on the couch and watch tv and eat bon bon's all day long!"  
I could go on and on about some of the things that this lady kept implying, but I'll spare you all the details.  Did not give me a good outlook on dietician's, that's for sure!!!

That same week I found varicose veins on the back of my thigh....one that looks like a softball hit me.  My doctor isn't too concerned about them as it is fairly common with pregnancy, especially the more kids you have.  Now I have to take breaks and raise my feet a few times a day (which is why I'm updating my blog now).  I also have to walk every day....with both reasons, but I think that I walked too fast or too much last night because my hips are really feeling it today.  Thankgoodness it's such nice weather outside lately!!!

I think the hardest thing about the pregnancy stuff is that I am forced to take more time to take care of myself.  I have to take my blood sugar 4 times a day, eat 6 times a day, exercise, and put my feet up periodically.  My blood sugar levels have been normal, but balancing eating and snacks with taking the blood sugars is the hardest.  I have to eat, then 2 hours later take my blood sugar, then have a snack, then 1-2 hours later eat, 2 hours later blood sugar, then snack, then eat and so forth....it's all about the timing of the whole thing that is the hardest.  It's like I'm a baby with a 2 hour scedule....I have to think about food every 2 hours....getting sick of food.

The best thing is that I have to have 25 grams of carbs every snack and before bed.  Before bed they even recommended having some ice cream (low sugar of course), or graham crackers and milk.  Not bad.  My main meals have to have 40, 50, and 60 grams of carbs.  Not hard to do, but when I just have a salad with chicken, I have to think of some carbs to add to it or drink a glass of milk (which is only 11 grams)....so that can be a little hard.  Some meals I'm actually eating more than I normally would, weird diet huh? 

7 more weeks until C-section....sceduled June 1st at 8:45 am. 

5 comments:

Cheri said...

I definitely feel you!! (my 4th pregnancy/c-section too, but don't know about gestational diabetes yet...)
I hate when my doctor gets on my case for gaining 6 lbs in a month (ha), because seriously - who cares?? I sure don't. And this time I was trying to grow so my placenta previa would go away (which it did!). Anyway, good luck the last hard 7 weeks. How early before your due date is your c-section?

Jen said...

My official due date is June 8th, so my c-section will only be a week early. I would like to try to get through Memorial Weekend so that the baby dosen't have a holiday weekend birthday every year.

Laura said...

you can make it!

Sylvia said...

It will be worth every inconvenience and discomfort in the end. Babies bring lots of sunshine and happiness with them. They also bring the best out in all the family. They are worth every trial that seems to be bother you now. Promise! Hang in there, a slice of heaven in coming in 7 weeks.

Lisa R.D. said...

I'm so late commenting on this (I haven't been great at keeping up on blogs lately!) but I saw your mom at the cabin today and we chatted about your upcoming delivery... so I thought I'd peek at your blog. Sorry you had a bad experience with the dietitian you saw... I promise, we are not all that way. I hope your delivery goes well tomorrow, I'll be thinking of you and praying for you!